Monday 20 December 2021

SLJ Nano Girl: Make Something That Floats

 Our challenge for today was to make something that floats. My boat floats but after  a while it starts sinking, to make my boat I used: six skewers, clingfilm, and tape. First I taped together the skewers to make a square ( I did this my making a criss-cross at each end) then taped a layer of cling film over the top. Then I added a sail by making a A frame over my boat with skewers and then covering it with cling film. Tips: If you make your boat this way it would probably work better if you make the sail frame at the same time as the boat frame. What would I do differently: I would do what I just said and I would put plastic straws over the skewers for extra flotation because my boat sinks after a while. Here are some photos of my boat:








1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Amelia!

    My name is Charlotte and I am from the Manaiakalani Summer Learning Journey team!

    Pai mahi on completing this Nanogirl activity! Your boat looks like it could have traveled very far! Did you measure how far it can travel?

    Did you create this boat all by yourself, or did someone help you out? The thinking behind it is quite clever!

    Thank you also for including your tips into your post! I think straws may work better as you said because they’ll hold more air than skewers. Nanogirl said that the things that have the most buoyancy have a lot of air in them! Have a go at creating another boat but with straws and see if it makes any difference!

    Ka pai, Amelia! I’m looking forward to seeing more of your blog posts throughout this raumati for SLJ!!

    Ngā mihi nui,
    Charlotte :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.